CVS is opening a sixth intake into its New Graduate Programme this Winter with a residential week in January 2023 to help support those new graduates who have taken some time out and now want to start their career in small animal practice.
The two year programme will start with a three week induction, from 23rd January to 10th February, comprising of a two weeks residential training programme to practice clinical and professional skills, supported by one week of applied online learning.
The residential weeks will take place at CVS’ dedicated training centre and a host practice where senior veterinarians will support graduates with their first procedures and consultations. The online learning will take place on CVS’ Knowledge Hub virtual learning platform, which has over 400 courses and webinars available to staff.
CVS’ New Graduate Programme has been running for over 12 years and the company was the first to set up a small animal Graduate Summer Camp in 2020 to help graduates adjust to practice during Covid. The new Winter 2022 camp will have places for a cohort of 30 new graduates and is particularly aimed at those who wanted to take some time out after graduation and are now ready to start the New Year in their new career.
CVS’ camps are designed to help graduate vets straight out of university to make the transition into working as a vet in everyday practice. They enable new graduates to practice key day-one skills, re-visit essential knowledge, and provide an opportunity to learn about how CVS practices operate. They also offer a forum for graduates to meet CVS colleagues from across the business, and bring graduates together so they have a peer-support network from the start of their career.
Martin Whiting, Director of Learning Education and Development at CVS, said: “Our summer and autumn camps have been extremely popular with graduates. So we wanted to bring a new Winter Camp on stream for graduates looking for roles this winter. We know that making the transition from university education into practice life can be challenging, so our camp is designed to give our graduates a smooth introduction to life as a vet, the support they will need to thrive in their roles, and the best possible experience at the start of their career.”
Designed by experienced vets, CVS provides an industry-leading graduate scheme to support these colleagues in their first years in practice. Running since 2015, it offers a comprehensive, practical and theory-based programme of essential Continued Professional Development (CPD) days, supporting the development of graduates’ clinical and non-clinical skills – including self-leadership, teamwork, wellbeing, resilience and business. The scheme also provides an experienced clinical mentor at practice level, a national support network of Hub Clinical Leads and CVS’ unique Pastoral Support Vets, and the opportunity for graduates to share experiences with fellow graduates.
CVS Group operates across small animal, farm animal, equine, laboratories and crematoria, with over 470 veterinary practices and referral centres in the UK, the Republic of Ireland and the Netherlands. It offers a wide diversity of veterinary and nursing roles. To find out more about the CVS Graduate Programme, then please visit www.careerswithcvs.co.uk .
CVS Graduate Programme offers:
- A salary of £32,000 which increases to £35,000 at the end of year one and to £38,000 at the end of year two.
- Three paid weeks for Summer, Autumn or Winter camps before starting in practice.
- A committed and trained clinical buddy working alongside graduates in practice, with regular meetings to support their transition from student to qualified vet.
- Unlimited access to hundreds of free webinars and courses on CVS’ Knowledge Hub.
- 10 CPD days a year, covering both clinical and non-clinical skills and tailored to a graduate’s clinical role.
- The opportunity to enrol onto the country’s first Advanced Clinical Practitioner (Veterinary) degree programme in conjunction with Nottingham Vet School – providing graduates with both a masters qualification and certAVP.
- Internal transfers – with a network of over 500 practices we can support you should you need to relocate
- No financial tie-in beyond completion of the programme.
- Professional memberships (RCVS & VDS).
- Up to seven weeks annual leave plus Bank Holidays (or equivalent) with CVS’ Buy/Sell Holiday Scheme – which allows colleagues to purchase an additional two weeks of annual leave.
- An extra days leave each year in the first 5 years at CVS.
- A workplace pension scheme.
- Discounted pet treatments.
- An Employee Assistance Programme: 24/7 365 days a year helpline to support colleagues and their immediate family when you need it the most.
- A discounted UK gym membership with Gym Flex.
- A performance bonus scheme.
- A Recommend a Friend financial bonus of between £250 to £5,000.